Thursday 23 January 2014

David Bowie - Waiting In The Wind [12", 2LP, Unofficial]

 
 I bought this bootleg some 27 years ago. I was in high school and had just witnessed my first DAVID BOWIE concert ever (and actually even first rock concert and first stadium concert at the same time), a few months earlier. Even though -looking back at it all- the Glass Spider Tour was certainly not Bowie's best period, i was still thrilled that i finally managed to see my musical hero of the previous four years of my life with my own eyes. The tour's kick-off was in Rotterdam where he played two nights in a row and i was at the very first one on May 30th, 1987. I still lived in the area of Apeldoorn at the time in the middle of Holland, and there was this great record store called Plato. The store has closed since a few years, unfortunately. A few months after the concert i finally dared asking the question that i always wanted to, but never got the courage to do so: did they by any chance have bootleg recordings of Bowie shows? Then they showed me this double LP called WAITING IN THE WIND from under the counter. It was on coloured vinyl, which i had never seen before in my life, and it was a recording of a show in Italy that had taken place only two weeks after that historical event in Rotterdam. Recorded at Stadio Flaminio in Rome, June 15th 1987, to be precise. Obviously, i just had to buy it.

The album is on a label called Cinthia Records of which i never heard before, nor after. The sound quality is actually pretty OK. Which was a relief, because it had cost me a fortune; I spent a few months of pocketmoney on it. It's a shame though that some songs of this show are not on the album. Apparently there was a 3x7" singles box called "Demanding Billy Dolls" released by the same label, which had the songs Fashion, All The Madmen, Big Brother, Heroes, Fame and (obviously) Time, from which lyrics the title for the box was taken. I asked the shop if they could get it, but unfortunately they couldn't, and so i never found one. I wondered for a while if it even existed, but i found some traces on eBay so it really does.
So this is my first ever Bowie bootleg (or even first ever bootleg in general) and my first ever coloured vinyl. Bowie had a lot of premieres in many different aspects of the musical side of my life, it seems ;)
I'm still very happy that i never sold this album. I did that with many of my Bowie vinyls back in the early 90's - to my deepest regret now, as you might understand.

Label: Cinthia Records
Cat.nr.: DRJ 490/491
Year of release: 1987

SIDE A:
01. Up The Hill Backwards
02. Glass Spider
03. Up The Hill Backwards (Reprise)
04. Day In, Day Out
05. Bang Bang
06. Absolute Beginners

SIDE B:
01. Loving The Alien
02. China Girl
03. Scary Monsters
04. Never Let Me Down
05. '87 And Cry

SIDE C:
01. Time Will Crawl
02. Beat Of Your Drum
03. Sons Of The Silent Age
04. Dancing With The Big Boys
05. Zeroes

SIDE D:
01. Let's Dance
02. Blue Jean
03. Modern Love

No comments:

Post a Comment