Sunday 17 November 2013

Black Hearted Brother - Stars Are Our Home [12", 2LP]


When a frontman of a shoegaze band I really love goes all country and folky for nearly two decades and then suddenly returns with loud guitars, I'm all ears. Neil Halstead (Slowdive, Mojave 3) has teamed up with Mark Van Hoen (Seefeel) and Nick Holton to form BLACK HEARTED BROTHER, a spacerock/krautrock/electronic/shoegaze band (or project?) that just released STARS ARE OUR HOME. It has become a wonderful album. It's so diverse that it's hard to describe as a whole. Experimental, yet packed with great pop tunes in disguise. And i'm loving every bit of it: from the shoegaze tune that was used online to introduce this release (I Don't Mean To) Wonder to the krautrock-ish track Oh Crust and the space disco of My Baby Sailed Away. Great stuff. Nothing wrong with folk and country music, but as long as there's no concrete plan to revive Slowdive, Halstead's new musical directions are at least a step in the right direction again as far as i'm concerned.

Label: Sonic Cathedral
Cat.nr.: SCR070LP
Year of release: 2013

SIDE A:
01. Stars Are Our Home
02. (I Don't Mean To) Wonder
03. This Is How It Feels

SIDE B:
01. Got Your Love
02. If I Was Here To Change Your Mind
03. UFO

SIDE C:
01. Time In The Machine
02. Oh Crust
03. Take Heart

SIDE D:
01. My Baby Just Sailed Away
02. I'm Back
03. Look Out Here They Come
 

No comments:

Post a Comment